Welcome to MESA!
Please check out what we are all about in MESA and know that we are dedicated to fostering the success of underrepresented scientists here at SSU. After review of your application and acceptance to the program, you will be notified of the first MESA meeting and added to our newsletter email list (check spam). To be officially enrolled you'll meet with Dr. Megan D'Errico, the MESA director for an intake appointment (instructions emailed to you & you'll be added to MESA canvas course). Follow the steps to apply below.
- If you are looking for the MESA application form & steps to apply, jump straight to it.
- Keep in mind to read through eligibility and application windows below.
- MESA tutoring is available to ALL students (regardless of major or other criteria).
MESA Member Eligibility
Declared or intended STEM majors/minors:
- Biology, Biochemistry, Chemistry, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Geology/Earth Science, Mathematics & Statistics, Physics & Astronomy
AND One of the following:
1. Students who identify in groups underrepresented in STEM
Latinx or Chicano/Hispanic, Native American, African American or Black, Asian American, Pacific Islander, as well as groups from diverse socioeconomic backgrounds, students who are first in their family to attend college, and LGBTQ+.
2. Students in CAASE
We actively recruit through Summer Bridge & CAASE advisors. These programs include: DSS, DREAM Center, EOP, PUERTA, Seawolf Scholars, TRIO SSS-MAP, TRIO SSS U4S. We encourage MESA members to also take advantage of these programs if they qualify.
3. Past participation in a CA MESA program
Either K-12 MESA college prep or MESA community college programs. For example, local MESA community college students coming from SRJC's MESA program, are automatically accepted, provided they pursue a STEM degree under the School of Science and Technology.
There are two application deadlines per semester. Once at the beginning of the semester and once at the end of the semester. Please note if you miss a deadline to apply, submit your application and attend MESA events anyway, your application will be the first to be processed for the following application cycle.
For Fall Semesters
- April 1 - May (last day of class)
- Aug (first day of class) - Aug 25th
For Spring Semesters
- TBD Fall 2020.
- Jan (first day of class) - Feb 5th
Here is the SSU academic calendar to look up some of those dates.
- Keep in mind to check your SSU email (and spam folder) for your acceptance email to MESA
- This email will include important info about your MESA intake meeting and follow up steps for official enrollment into MESA.
- Finally, MESA tutoring is available to ALL students (regardless of major or other criteria).