MESA Program Eligibility
Declared or intended STEM majors/minors:
- Biology, Biochemistry, Chemistry, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Geology/Earth Science, Mathematics & Statistics, Physics & Astronomy
AND One of the following:
1. Students who identify in groups underrepresented in STEM
Latinx or Chicano/Hispanic, Native American, African American or Black, Asian American, Pacific Islander, and groups from diverse socioeconomic backgrounds, students who are first in their family to attend college, and LGBTQ+.
2. Students in CAASE
These programs include DSS, DREAM Center, EOP, PUERTA, Seawolf Scholars, TRIO SSS-MAP, TRIO SSS U4S. We encourage MESA members to take advantage of these programs if they qualify, and many members do! We actively recruit through Summer Bridge & CAASE advisors.
3. Past participation in a CA MESA program
Either K-12 MESA college prep or MESA community college programs. For example, local MESA community college students from SRJC's MESA program are automatically accepted, provided they pursue a STEM degree under the School of Science and Technology.
MESA Applications are OPEN
Steps to apply
Please check out what we are all about in MESA and know that we are dedicated to fostering the success of underrepresented STEM students here at SSU. Before you proceed: Keep in mind to read through eligibility. After reviewing your application and acceptance to the program, you will be notified of the next steps to schedule/complete an intake meeting, complete enrollment, date of the first MESA meeting, and, finally, added to our newsletter email list (check spam). To be officially enrolled, you'll meet with the MESA Lead for an intake appointment. Follow the steps to apply below.
- To apply, log in to your sonoma.edu account (link is above to log in, under the MESA application title)
- Click the button below (this will not appear if the application is closed - check above), then follow steps to apply (next).
- If the form still does not populate and the application should be open, see the "Problems logging in?" section at the bottom of the page, or feel free to contact MESA.
1. Submit the online application form:
After logging into your Sonoma Account (SSO), keep pressing next until all fields are completed.
During the application: If you are receiving financial aid, there will be a place to upload your Award Summary (found when you log into the student center in MySSU) or your financial aid award letter (if new to SSU). Screenshots or pictures are acceptable.
2. To be officially enrolled, we ask that you schedule an introductory MESA intake appointment to meet with our Administrative Coordinator, Sarah Tucker. Bring all your questions! Before our MESA intake, you'll have a series of steps through an email with instructions to sign up for your MESA intake appointment through Google Calendar. We will go over the MESA agreement, advising and support options to create an individualized plan, and complete your enrollment with the MESA program. If you need more specific advice or have additional concerns, sign up for a LoboConnect appointment with an Advisor.
Problems Logging In?
If you get an error after clicking the form login link above, the back button to return to this page, then click "MESA Application" in the department menu (left on desktop or below mobile). Email email@example.com with questions.
It would be best to be sure you are logged into your sonoma.edu SSO.
Finally, if none of the above works, this likely means that the MESA application is closed at this time.